On my drive home from work today I get stuck in the middle lane of traffic on 75 which is going really slow. I wonder what's going on so when I get a chance to change lanes I do. As I drive past everyone, I discover the problem....a student driver. As I pass I wonder why the teacher thinks it a good idea to drive the speed limit in the middle lane. Why not the "slow" lane?
Upon pondering this, I discover a whole slew of questions in my head which leads me to think about what happens between the time we take drivers ed and the time we get our license. I mean what happens to make us think that everything we learned in drivers ed is not applicable to real world driving.
Let's be honest. How many of us still drive in the 10:00/2:00 position? If you do is it EVERY time you are in the car? Also what happened to your respect (or lack there of) to the speed limit? And blinkers. Why do we decide they are just a suggestion instead of a requirement? Don't even get me started on highway merging. (Since when does yeild mean stop on an entrance ramp?)
Now, I took drivers ed in a small Texas town where there was only one place (with no traffic mind you) to practice merging onto the highway. In spite of this I feel like that this is one of my strong points and major pet peeves. After all, if I learned to do it everyone should have too.
Coach Hanna would be proud (and mortified) at what I still (and don't) do from drivers ed. If only he would offer a refresher course in parallel parking!
Monday, August 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. --Helen Keller









2 comments:
I agree about the parallel parking. I was so good at it in driver's ed. Now, I avoid it at all costs because I am terrible at it. Of course, in driver's ed, I had my brother in the back seat telling me when to stop and go! Maybe that was why I was so good...
I miss Coach Hanna! (and Chris too- I was just thinking about him this morning.) Anyhoo- I hear you Abbey. You know what my latest pet peeve is? People who exit and then get right back on at the next entrance, repeatedly, in the hopes that they can get past a few cars on 75 each time. Just pick a lane and go with it, for crying out loud!
H
Post a Comment