Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 19, 2006

My Unsuccessful Boycott

So after ending last school year with the promise of amazing new technology for my classroom from my boss, I spent all summer complaining about how I would boycott the use of it. I decided the district could waste their money on all this stuff and I would not learn how to use it. Yes, I wasn't going to give into "the man."

So at the beginning of August we all trudged into the training for these things called Smart Boards. My co-workers and I all had the same attitude.....mainly we will never use this stuff. However, it turns out these Smart Boards are really cool and we are actually excited about using them. They are basically interactive white boards. They are huge but well worth the space they take up in my sardine can sized room. To top off the new smart boards, our boss even bought us new laptop computers to run them. We haven't seen this much new technology in Deaf ed in years. It's been like Christmas around Portable 4. (We are now wondering what we will "owe" our boss in the near future.)

So much for our boycott. I'm so excited about the stuff it can do that Joel and I went and bought a scanner/ printer/copier/fax machine today to make planning my lessons easier. The printer was something we needed anyway so we just upgraded to the combo package. Very cool!

Maybe I'll be better at my next boycott....I'll let you know as soon as I decide what it is!

1 comment:

H Noble said...

That was hilarious Abbey! I am so with you on boycotting technology, but often find my self enjoying things I didn't think I would. Who knew? Glad its making your teaching experience better!
H

Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. --Helen Keller