Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering Sept. 11th

Alfonse Joseph Niedermeyer, III



As you know, a few weeks ago I made a commitment to honor a victim of Sept. 11th. I was given the name of Alfonse Joseph Niedermeyer, III. I've spent the last few days trying to find out more about him and in the process have come to really respect what he did that day.

Alfonse, or "Big Al", was a police officer for the port authority of NY and NJ. An article I read described him as a person you "never would have mistaken for anything but a New Yorker. At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, and with a booming New York accent, he made an imposing law enforcement officer." He had a 16-year career with the department and had won many citations which included rescuing passengers from USAir Flight 405 after it had skidded off a runway at LaGuardia Airport. Co-workers described Al as a "born rescuer".

On Sept. 11th, Al had just returned from a two week vacation. When he heard about the attacks he rushed to Tower Two to help (he was one of the first people on the scene). It was the same building his father used to work in before his retirement. His father said, "He liked his job tremendously, and it was typical of my son to want to be where he could be the most useful. I know only it was that he was doing his duty."

Big Al died at 40 years old and left behind a wife Nancy and two kids, a daughter Angelica and a son AJ. AJ was 2 1/2 when his father died and Angelica was born after the tragedy.

Days after the attacks, Al was confirmed dead. However, it was not until last October (2005) that his family could finally bury him. His father said on a message board, "My famliy finally buried Al this weekend. It has taken us some time to decide a fitting place. It has been four years since we lost Alfonse, yet the pain has not gone away. Al we miss you so much! We are all doing our best to look after your Son AJ and Daughter Angelica."

Alfonse touched many lives in his 40 years. Here are just some of the messages friends and co-workers left for him on various message boards.

My life changed the day I met Alfonse. He was a wonderful and happy friend. I loved him like a brother. I miss him tremendously. My life was so enriched having him in it. He taught me to celebrate every minute of life and to keep laughing. ---co-worker

At his memorial, his friend Kevin Quinn commented that 'Al always made you feel like YOU were his best friend.' It is the most enduring and unique attribute I have ever know in a person. His legacy is the love his family and friends all feel for him. ---co-worker

Your daughter is the image of you! When you look down upon her and AJ be proud. ---friend

To read more messages about Alfonse click here.

I will never again think of Sept. 11th the same. For me, it has become much more personal. Our commitment to the victims and their families should be one to always remember and if we feel ourselves forgetting to reread the stories of that awful day. I can only hope that I've captured a small part of Al today and in doing so have reminded us all of the impact of that day.

To "Big Al" and his friends and family...God be with you and may you draw comfort from the arms of God.

Read more about Project 2,996 and the victims of 9/11.

7 comments:

Traci said...

What a great memorial. I enjoyed reading about him and learning about what he did for 9/11.

Marni said...

Beautitul job... thank you!

Anonymous said...

I lived in Brooklyn when I was in fourth and fifth grade. I had a friend named Al Niedermeyer. I'm virtually it's the same person as your tribute is for. I never spoke to my Al again after I moved away.

I wrote a 2,996 tribute to Harry Ramos who died in Tower 1. You can find it here:

http://www.buygilberthomes.com/?p=128

Ed Dickson said...

Thanks for remembering.

Anonymous said...

These are getting more and more difficult to read. So many young people snuffed out far too soon.

You have done a fine job of honoring "Big Al."

kateandjona said...

Thank you for sharing a very sweet tribute to Al. I hope his kids are doing ok. I was 5 when my dad died, so I know how hard it is. I'm 13 now.

I remember Robert Levine, lost when Tower 1 came down.

Anonymous said...

Thank You for this Post about my brother. It is appreciated.

One of the important things I would like to correct is that Al did not just come back from a two week vacation. In fact he was scheduled to go to Florida with his wife my parents and my sister's family on September 12. He was called into work on September 11, 2001.

Regardless, My family misses him very much and we wish he was still with us today......

Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. --Helen Keller