I never understood the appeal of the college football season until I met Joel. Part of the problem is that I went to a woman's university with no football program (obviously). In high school, I attended every game because I was in the band but never really understood it. It was not until I dated a football player that the actual game really mattered or made sense.
Then I met and married Joel and was introduced to the finer points of team traditions. Let's just say that until then I knew nothing about loyalty, dotting the "i", script Ohio, Brutus, Woody Hayes (who else would our dog be named after?) or the countless other important things in Ohio State football. Having said that, it should not have surprised me when on our honeymoon Brutus appeared out of Joel's suitcase to tour Europe with us. It actually made for some great pictures and conversation starters (yes, that's us in Naples with Brutus)!

I must admit now that football season is fun. I'm constantly trying to find new OSU stuff for presents and can even (maybe) name some of the current players. I also enjoy throwing parties for the games. Last year, we had a big bash for the Texas vs Ohio State game (thus the picture of our house). It was great even though we lost. We also dressed as Woody Hayes and an OSU cheerleader for Halloween the first year we were married.
I do still ask stupid questions when the game is on but somehow Joel never laughs or gets irritated. He simply answers them (usually for a second or third time) and continues watching the game. It really must be true love!
So as the season begins, I must admit I'm looking forward to it. I will still multi-task during most of the games but will try and keep the stupid questions to a minimum. For now, "Go Bucks" (and thank goodness they won today)!









7 comments:
Go Bucks!!!
Seriously! I knew you had become a Bucks fan, but I did not know about the cheerleader outfit. Can you do a cheer for us next time we see you? I wish I'd read the blog before we had dinner with you tonight! :)
I still don't know who Woody Hayes is and thought your dog was named that because dogs seem to get random names. Now I know.
H
And thanks for adding us as links- I just noticed!
H
You guys are a riot...BEAT TEXAS!
J
H-Woody Hayes is one of the old (and fans would say the best) coaches at OSU. I never knew that till I met Joel so don't feel bad! Also the cheerleader only makes appearances at Halloween and special occasions!
I'm offended that any occasion with me is not a special occasion! Santa Claus remembers things like that!
H
Holly, hanging out with you is a special occasion. However, I do not wear the uniform in public (don't think the people in Genghis would have appreciated it). Next time you come over, I'll consider breaking it out!
Post a Comment