On this Memorial Day it is only fitting that we honor the heroes in our lives. I have many veterans in my life. Both of my grandfathers fought in W.W. II and my dad fought in Vietnam. I'm so proud to honor them on this day. I only wish I had paid more attention to the stories growing up. Hindsight truly is 20/20 but I can continue to honor their lives.
I am reminded each day as I drive to work of the sacrifice many have made. You see I pass Pecan Grove Cemetery, a 57 acre cemetery established in 1870. I never really paid much attention to it until last year around Memorial Day. It was then I noticed the flags. As is common, volunteers had placed American flags along the graves of all the soldiers. What was uncommon was the placement of Confederate flags around 200 of the oldest grave sites there.
Honestly, I had never really thought about those veterans of the earliest wars of our country. I often wondered why we should designate a difference between veterans. I have since realized that we take for granted what these soldiers did for us. Without them, who knows how much history would be different. So does it matter which era a soldiers fights in? Of course not. I am proud that we have embraced all veterans regardless of ethnicity, gender, or political beliefs and honor them each and every day. Happy Memorial Day and may we continue to honor ALL the men and women who bravely fight for our freedom.
Monday, May 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. --Helen Keller









2 comments:
Thanks for putting it into words Abbey. You should feel proud of your family and honored that they were/are such upstanding and strong men.
It is wrong to celebrate war!! I only celebrate peaceful things like frolicking in a meadow with pretty flowers and pretty, pretty birds. Sometimes, though, I must admit that I daydream about shooting the pretty birds with my Vietnam era Remington M-40 rifle with the reflex scope.
Billy Baggy Britches
Post a Comment