Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Terrible Smell

I promise the final London post later this week but in the meantime.....

You never know what surprises you will encounter at my job. Some are pleasant, others are not. I was in for one of the unpleasant ones when I arrived at work yesterday. There was a funky smell coming from my room (it's not the first time as some of you may recall the rat/maggot incident) so I imediately notified the office. Our janitor (who is actually Ernie Banks' brother) came out to inspect things. He said he would call environmental services to have them come look. Since it was somewhat tolerable we stayed in my room and had class. Environmental services came and took a look around the ceiling and didn't find anything. They said it must be my carpet and they would come clean it on Good Friday since we don't have school. (I'm thinking to myself....yeah right, if it was the carpet I'd have smelled it before now...I've also been down this road before and we had maggots and a dead rat.) So.......I leave well enough alone, finish my day and come home to complain to Joel.

Then today, the smell is worse. In fact it is so bad my kids refuse to go into the room. We quickly hold our breath, gather up our pencil boxes and important papers and head across the portable to another classroom. In the meantime, the janitor has come back out and decided something must have died under my corner of the portable. So he calls environmental services, they come out, have a look and find nothing. Fortunately, he convinces them to look again in the ceiling with a flashlight (duh!!! It's dark up there!). Would you believe that they actually found something....a dead squirrel. Now if they had only really looked yesterday we could have avoided all of this to begin with. I hate people who don't take me seriously!

1 comment:

H Noble said...

Gross. And I must say that just by knowing that there is rat and maggot story is enough detail for me on that.
H

Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. --Helen Keller