Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Thankful for...

strong Texas roots, a great family history and strong women. Some of you know (okay maybe most of you) that I come from a large extended family. I'm humbled to have come from a strong line of Schlenkers who decided to settle in Texas. This last summer we celebrated 100 years in Texas and had a great family reunion. It is always amazing to me how many people come together and celebrate our family. It is always several days of fun. Like most everything, you never really appreciate your heritage until you get older.
This reunion was special because I got to spend lots of great time with my cousins whom I seldom see. As kids we were always running around together and getting into things we weren't supposed to. It was nice to reconnect and reminisce about our childhoods. We spent a lot of time laughing and enjoying life.

I learned a lot about my family roots too. My great-grandmother Schlenker had 11 children. Basically she was pregnant from age 26-46. I can't even begin to fathom that. She also was a strong woman and devoted wife. She followed her husband out to Texas after he bought land (which she told him not to do) on the train with 9 children one of which was a 3 month old baby. By the time she got to the farm it was dark. When she awoke the next morning she could only see black prairie everywhere. Even then she didn't doubt her husbands' decision to come to Texas. I can only hope I'm that kind of devoted wife. Coming from a history of strong women you can't help but be inspired to live up to your full potential. Here's to being thankful for the "diva" in us all!

3 comments:

H Noble said...

Isn't it amazing to think how much times have changed since your great-grandparents moved to Texas? But then I think that things aren't so different, b/c I moved to Dallas with Justin, against my better judgment b/c that's what you do when you are a team, you stick together. I'm so glad you have a strong family, and that you celebrate that. Thanks for the pics!
Holly

aimee said...

Very cool story. Love the last picture! :)

JNoble said...

This is a great post. The pictures are great.

J

Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. --Helen Keller